Monday, April 17, 2006

It Hit Me

There was the sense of excitement in the air yesterday as it was the first really nice spring day in New York. The sky was blue, the air not yet humid and everyone was out to experience the warmth of the sun. I thought I would take Tess for a walk down to the dogrun by the marina. We started out and all around us were families out enjoying the glorious day. With all of the shiny new Bugaboo and Mcclaren strollers in view, it was clear that many families were with children that last year were just dreams in their parent's hearts.

I was dreaming too last May - about finishing up the paperwork so I could send it off to China. I was dreaming about taking my child out, in her stroller, to the playground - to laugh with her as she reveled in the swing going higher and higher, to cheer her on as she navigated the sandbox or tried to climb the big jungle gym, watchful but not hovering - or at least trying really hard not to.

Had things gone according to plan, I too would be pushing my baby in the stroller yesterday. I would be watching her play and explore. I would be remembering the long wait and thinking "I can't believe the time went so fast. Just last year...."

But I wasn't.

And it hurt.

No comments: