Sunday, December 02, 2007

Jetlag Hell

I have been up since 1am. Ariana cried out and I went in to comfort her. She went back to sleep quickly (until 3 that is) but I was wide awake. Every night since we have been back has been similar and every day I swear I will never leave this time zone again.

We arrived on Thursday and actually had the only decent night sleep - I think we woke up around 3am. Ariana had a half day of school on Friday because of parent-teacher conferences, so I kept myself busy until it was time to pick her up and have ours. The teachers love her and while she needs to continue to work on her speech (and her circles, as her drawing seems to be limited to many lines across the page) she is doing very well. Apparently, she follows directions well, so well in fact that she is a role model for the other children. I don't know how beneficial that is at the age of 3, but I am hoping I can use it on her college applications - they like that sort of thing, right?

Ok, so back to my lack of sleep. The weekend passed without me stepping outside, baba san taking up the slack beautifully. I thought by now there would be some semblance of normal sleep pattern, but the only thing that seems normal is that I am learning how to function on 4 hours of sleep a night.

Which leaves me lots of time to complain about the weather. It is cold here. Not so much outside, but in our apartment. While Tokyo apartments are built to withstand fairly large earthquakes, one might actually freeze to death waiting for the "big" one. Single pane windows, no insulation and drafts, drafts, drafts, make for one uncomfortable situation.

While in the bathroom trying to put that foamy tape on the door to block the 5 mile an hour winds that come in through the cracks, I felt a breeze coming from another direction. I opened the cabinets under the sink and there, surrounding the pipe, was a gaping hole - the wind was blowing - in my bathroom!!

No wonder the Japanese invented the heated toilet seat. And may I say it has come in very handy these days.

While there is no brightside in living in a drafty apartment, there is one in getting up so early - watching the sun rise:


and then watch while the fall folliage comes into view right outside our window:

No comments: