Thursday, January 15, 2009

Back to School

"I don't want to go to school"
"I don't like school"
"I don't like my friends"
"I don't like morning - I like the dark"
"I want to bring this book and this book and this book and this book and my DVD's"
"I don't like apple"

These are the sounds that fill my mornings - what joy!!!! Mind you, she goes to school - is relatively happy when she gets there and seems to enjoy the day. I suppose it's just the idea of it that disturbs her.

When I dropped her off on Monday, there were forms for the new school lunch program - all natural, all organic, packed in ecologically sound containers, allergy free ingredients - all for 1800 yen a day - that is about $18. Are they kidding?????? Forget about the fact that my daughter would eat, well, let's see, NOTHING!!!! of the lovely all natural all organic lunch packed in the ecologically sound container - I don't spend $18 on my lunch!!

This is life in ex-pat land, where so called nutritionists think that 1) everyone has $18 to spend on their child's lunch and 2) they will be convinced that unless they spend the $!8 on said lunch, they will be condemning their children to an unhealthy life and an early grave.

I, for one, think that what is left over from last night's dinner or a little sandwich makes a fine lunch and since the lunchbox comes back empty, it seems Ariana thinks so too. I also think that the plastic Mickey Mouse or Puri fresh boxes I pack it in serve her just fine (for those interested, the possible danger from plastic is only when heating).

So, the sign up form has gone into the garbage (yes, I did put it in the "paper" garbage so that it can be recycled properly) and Ariana went to school today with leftover spaghetti.

1 comment:

Darla said...

good for you! A silent yet effective protest.