Sunday, March 26, 2006

Just Another useless item OR a life saver for people like me..

..who feel sure they will leave their baby on the bus, on the subway, in a store - anywhere where they are not supposed to be left.

While browsing on the Target website and updating my registry, I saw this. I can't decide if I think it is absolutely ridiculous and yet another item marketed to the most paranoid fears of us soon-to-be moms, or a useful tool for the safety of my baby.

You see, ever since I started the adoption journey, I have been joking around with my friends that I will "leave the baby on the bus". Back in the 80's when I was a very independent "never getting married, never having children" woman, I got a tee-shirt that was a take off on a Roy Liechtenstein print that said "Oh my God, I left the baby on the bus!!!"

Now, at 49 and about to be a mother for the first time, that is a distinct possibility. You know how when you get older, you tend to misplace where you put things; your keys. glasses, whatever. Last week I left my handbag at work, got on the subway and all the way down to my stop before realizing it. Yes, it was a Friday and I couldn't go an entire weekend without my wallet and more importantly, my make up. Luckily when I rushed back, the office was still open and I could get it. Yes, a baby isn't an object and being the concerned, loving mother I am (or will be) I would never do something so neglectful. I am just not so sure.

My friend Michelle suggested getting one of those glove holder things; you know the string with the clip that goes on one glove and then through the arms of the coat to the other glove, so they don't get lost. I actually saw someone on the street with a variation of this and it didn't look so bad. The children's leash thing really bugs me, but this was subtle. However, the electronic thing is invisable, and only if I push the little "oh my God, I lost my baby!!!" button will anyone know it's there. But the bad thing about this is the apparently skreeching sounds that eminates from my child, immediately rendering her scarred for life.

No comments: