Friday, February 16, 2007

The Daddy Dance

After dinner each night, Baba-san takes Ariana in his arms and they dance. It is the only way she will go to sleep quietly, without screaming bloody murder. They dance to classic rock music by Rod Stewart and the Rolling Stones among others. Her particular favorite is " Crimson in Clover" - the original version, not the one by Joan Jett. Sometimes he sings, but mostly he just slowly moves around the living room holding her .

I would take a picture, but one can't capture the moment of intimacy between a father and daughter. You just have to imagine him with her in his arms - Ariana alternatively looking up at him trustingly and closing her eyes slowly.

They are in their own little world.
I dare not intrude.
Instead I watch from a distance.

Such a lovely sight.

2 comments:

Gina said...

I've been reading your blog for a few months now but never have felt compelled to comment until now.

I admire you for not taking the picture and intruding on the dance...moments like this will always be etched in your mind regardless of photographic evidence. I know because I still have moments like this in my mind even though my dad(dy) has been gone for almost 2 years now and I'm almost 42 years old.

Thank you so much for reminding me of moments like these...

Gina

mama J said...

thank you for your kind words. I do hope Ariana has the same fond memories....