Monday, May 14, 2007

Mother's Day...

After a morning of trying to comfort what was an inconsolable child, I wondered - Why don’t I understand her? She was trying to communicate, saying "geetah" over and over, pointing to the tv and wailing. "geetah" or "deetah"- I know it meant something, I just couldn't remember what. Why didn't I make that lists of words she is saying, so I could look it up and make her feel better? I could tell she was mad. I would be too. Here I am celebrating Mother’s day and I am failing at the most basic “being able to comfort my daughter” task.

However, in my short time as a mother, I have come to learn that with each days successes, there are also the slip-ups. And that’s ok. That is just as much a part of motherhood as the good stuff.

As a young child, I thought my mother had all the answers. As a teenager, I thought my mother had none. Now, I understand. We are not perfect. Each day brings a new challenge and we are all just trying to figure it out. No matter how many books you read, how many opinions you get, how many “Nanny 911s” you watch, you still have to deal with your particular child.

And each child is different. That is the mystery. And they change so fast. Just when you think you have something figured out – a proper response for a certain behavior, a menu they will eat, a schedule that works – it all changes.

That’s the adventure.

Figuring it all out. Tuning into this little person, watching her personality develop, watching for the little expressions of “this is who I am, mom”. And then listening.

Messing up. Every day. Realizing every day that I am not perfect. Every day.

And celebrating that.

P.S. "Deetah" turned out to mean Dora, as in Dora the Explorer. We usually watch it on my computer, but I had made the fatal mistake of connecting it to the television so she could watch it on a large screen. Apparently, this was a major violation of some rule she has.
Or maybe she just had to pee.
Or was hungry.
Or thirsty.
Or tired.
Or just felt like screaming.

Ahhh......the adventure.....................

No comments: