Sunday, May 06, 2007

The Girls

As draining as this trip was (it's over now - I'm home) it was wonderful to see my mother and Ariana getting to know each other. Ariana would hold my mother's hand when we went out, providing my mother with the opportunity to claim bragging rights to the cutest granddaughter in the world as they walked through the dining room for dinner each night. They shared crackers and ice cream - two things Ariana seemed to live on this trip.

The last night we were there, the three of us were on the couch and I'm not sure how it started, but my mother began to sing "Rock A Bye Baby". Now, a 95 year old woman singing this song goes something like this:


rock a bye baby, on the tree top
when the bow breaks, the cradle will fall
da dada da da da da da da
and down will come baby cradle and all


But, Ariana didn't know the difference and every time my mother stopped, Ariana would say "more". My mother must have sung the song seven or eight times, with varying lyrics each time. Then they moved on to "little piggy" with my mother grabbing Ariana's toes much to her amusement.


Little games and songs from a different time creating memories in this one. I truly hope for more.



1 comment:

Michelle said...

Oh, those pictures! it's hard to see them clearly through my teary eyes. The initial reason for your trip....not what any of us want. But ahhhh..... to see them together - how magnificent. Glad you made it home safe and sound. xxmichelle