Monday, July 09, 2007

Goodie Bags - not just for children anymore

After attending my second children's birthday party as a parent, I have some observations. Mostly involving the goody bag and the other assorted treats one brings home from these events. As I sit here writing this, in my kitchen sits this:


In it is the cupcake Ariana and I made yesterday at her friend Rhianna's birthday party. Now, we went through the gift bag when we got home - Ariana got all of the little toys, the bank, which she proceeded to fill with the change I gave her from my purse as she said "money!!" with a look of glee on her face, the princess charm and the "Little Princess" rice cake. I got the Cadbury square of chocolate, which I did share (ok, a little reluctantly) with her when she saw what I had.

What, you think something is wrong with me digging into my daughter's goody bag for a little taste? Why shouldn't I? After all, I participated in the party just as much as she did. While she was playing "let's all jump on the trampoline", I was playing "Oh, really, and where does your child go to school?". While she was watching the clowns, I was watching the parents look at me, then at baba-san, then at Ariana and then try to figure out the best way to ask "the question". While she was doing the hokey-pokey, I was doing the busy answering "the question", which someone finally asked (most tastefully I might add).

Actually, and mostly due to the quality of my friend's friends, baba-san and I had an excellent time, as did Ariana, once she found the cutest boy in the room:
and no, that is not a cigarette in her hand (you have a dirty mind, you know)......they were just bouncing!!!!
But, back to the gift bag - I'm thinking perhaps the adults should get one too; with aspirin, for the headache you will have from listening to child say over and over and over "I want a (fill in the blank here) after the birthday girl or boy gets one as a present; a Tide stain stick to remove whatever remains on your child's clothing from all of the party activities; a small bottle of wine - to enjoy in the privacy of your own bedroom after your child has gone to sleep and for the first time since the party, there is quiet, and a nice piece of chocolate (the dark kind, which has been shown to be very healthy!!)......just because.
We are planning Ariana's party as her birthday is coming up - perhaps the adults will get a little something......

1 comment:

shelley said...

Goodie bags for adults....hmmmm you maybe onto something GREAT