Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Where is PETA When You Need Them

Today I saw a poodle with a barrette in it's hair.


Not a bow, but an actual hair clip, similar to the ones I would put in Ariana's hair if she kept them in for more than a minute or two. But you see, Ariana has hands and when she rips them out of her hair, I take that has a hint she doesn't want to wear them. Unfortunately, dogs don't have that option.


The big question is why? Why do people feel the need to treat their pets like dress up dolls? I really should stop torturing myself asking this question as people here have truly bizarre relationships with their dogs and I would be much better off if I just accepted this.

I have seen dogs in little outfits; some even matching their owner's. I have seen dogs with jewelry, booties (it was not snowing, the only acceptable reason for subjecting your animal to footwear and only to protect them from the salt spread on the sidewalks) and even a hat. Not even a baseball cap, but a little straw hat with an elastic strap to keep in from falling off. And most egregious, I have seen people wheeling their dogs around in strollers made especially for their furry little children - sorry, I meant pets.

Now my question to PETA is this? Is this not abuse of animals? Forget protecting the animals formerly skinned and being worn by people to keep warm, go after the individuals who are causing dogs all over to try to hide from the shame of having to wear little dungarees (no kidding, I saw this). The poor chihuahua wearing the hat looked like it wanted to jump out of the bicycle basket it was sitting in - while the bicycle was moving - just to avoid the humiliation of looking like a stuffed animal.

So, you PETA people out there, the next time you see a dog dressed up like a doll, intervene. Talk to the owners. Better yet - make them put on the same outfit they are parading their dog in and see how it feels. They might not like it, but I'm sure their dogs will have quite a laugh.

No comments: