Thursday, May 08, 2008

It's Gone...

My computer left today for a hopefully brief vacation where it will be gently massaged back into working order. In the meantime, baba san and I will be sharing his - I get to use it while he is at work and whenever I can pry it out of his hands on weekends. I will also get to do other things on my "to do" list, like clean out closets, start crocheting again and of course looking for butter.

Yes, for all of those wondering, we did feel the earthquake very early this morning. It seemed to go on forever, shaking lampshades, nudging drawers open and toppling pictures. We laid in bed wondering if it was serious enough to get up (we are getting jaded), finally getting up and standing in Ariana's doorway, with her in my arms. She was not happy, the "dead to the world" sleeper that she is. When it was all over, she moaned and whined as if to say "you woke me up for this!!", but settled down fairly quickly. I on the other hand took awhile to fall asleep, listening to Tess, who apparently was not having an easy time getting back to sleep. I kept thinking that since animals have a special sense about these things, perhaps she was sensing another one and I should stay awake just in case. That lasted only a little while as it was after 2 in the morning and I was tired.

Walking Tess this morning, it was as if nothing happened. That's the funny thing about earthquakes here in Japan. As breezily as one would ask "how are you?", we ask each other "did you feel the earthquake last night?" - we actually have them every couple of days; some barely noticeable and some, like last night, definitively earth moving.

what fun....................

No comments: