Sunday, February 01, 2009

Random Things


My new favorite product. While they look like normal jelly beans, they are more. Much more. Filled with both Vitamin C and Collagen. Yes, while we painfully shoot the stuff in our faces, here in Japan they eat it. Who is smarter??


The first earthquake casualty - this morning as I was sitting at the computer, the building started swaying and things started rattling. I am so used to it now I continued to sit and type. Later we had some people over for brunch and we were all discussing how jaded we have all become. As I pulled down the martini glasses for dessert (I was filling them with fruit and cream, not martinis by the way) I saw this. It apparently rattled just a little too hard on the top of the shelf and broke.

How sad.

Finally, the other very rainy morning baba san left for work as Ariana and I were still trying to make it out the door. Finally all ready, I started looking for my keys, first in the relaxed "why can't I ever just put them in one place" kind of way, then in the "Oh my God I am going senile!!!!!" kind of way. I looked all over, in both the logical places and the more ridiculous (the fridge). Finally I gave up, hustled both of us out the door, leaving it unlocked (I live in Japan, I can do this) and went about my day. I took the clicker to the garage door, ensuring I could get back into the building.

Later in the afternoon after doing another complete search of the apartment, I called baba san and embarrassedly told him I couldn't find the keys and asked if he could look in his briefcase to see if perhaps Ariana put them there, or maybe they just fell in. He looked and and then said

him: "wait, they're here. They're in my pocket"

me: In your pocket??

him: yes. I don't know how they got there.

me: what do you mean? you put them there.

him: I don't know.

me: what do you mean you don't know if you put them there. Do you remember me sticking my hand in your pocket??

him: no, but you must have left them somewhere where I thought they were mine.

me: (speechless at this point)

Twice, I searched the apartment, spending the entire day worried that 1) I was going nuts 2) I would never find them and would have to deal with getting a new set from the landlord 3) even though this is Japan, someone was going to get into the apartment and take everything valuable that we own.

My question is... just how much should I make him pay?

No comments: