Saturday, April 28, 2007

Old Ladies and Babies

The residents here are all competing for Ariana's attention. So far, she has received two books and a teddy bear from women whose names I don't even know. And they brag..."she read the book I gave her over and over", "she carries the bear everywhere" - it is so funny.

Forgive the silence, but my mother has dial up and the slowest browser on the planet and I just got up the nerve to bring my computer where there is a wireless connection.

I am here for an extra week as doctor and health insurance issues demand my attention. Getting old sucks and dealing with an incredibly stubborn 95 year woman makes it even more frustrating. Realizing that I can't make her take care of herself better than she actually wants to has been difficult. Letting go is a concept I have never been good at and to let go of my mother's well being and accept the choices she makes has been emotionally draining. Combine all of this with the demands of a 2 year old has made my stay exhausting - the only relief being visits from family and friends. And of course the daily calls from baba-san.

Gotta run as Ariana has been patient enough, going through my wallet and appointment book. She has moved on to the pen, which she is starting to use on the table - not good!!!

No comments: