Thursday, September 13, 2007

Happy Birthday To Me

Yesterday was Ariana's birthday. She had school, so I arrived at 1pm for the party with cake in hand. Clearly confused, Ariana didn't quite know what to make of the candles (and the cake for that matter), so her teacher and classmates helped her blow out the candles.
She was just as bewildered when they brought out the presents - each teacher in the school gave her something.

She clearly enjoyed all of the attention though and I sat back and watched, knowing this was definitely the first time she had celebrated her birthday.....ever.
At home, we played in low key as the big party is Saturday. We did let her open one present - from big sister Kelsey. It was a big hit.............
By the time the night was over, she was saying "happy birthday" (she actually says "happy day", which it was) over and over.

Little does she know what is in store for her on Saturday. What started as a casual gathering is now over 30 people (including the little ones). I have already had the great "meatball disaster" and am gathering all of the stain removers in the house, given we are about to have 12 children under the age of 4 in an apartment with white carpeting.
But I am looking forward to it. All of the people coming are good friends and we have known most of them almost as long as we have been here. Baba's family will be represented by cousins Chris, Keiko and Ryoshin.
I was good at the class party - not crying at all when they started singing Happy Birthday. Taking picture after picture, I kept myself busy enough to avoid the tears.
I'm not sure I'll be so good on Saturday.
I'm not sure I want to be.

2 comments:

shelley said...

Happy Birthday Ariana!! Good job holding it together mom.

Anonymous said...

It looks great fun!
I am sorry I couldn't be there.
Where did you get the pink party hat? (I want one. Not for me).
See you soon
Gill