Monday, September 10, 2007

What a Difference A School Makes

Ariana started her new school last week and it is amazing the difference in her reaction. Today, her third time going to class (she is enrolled only two days a week), she joyfully walked up the steps and waved goodbye, with a big smile on her face - something she never did at the old one. She also ate - almost all of her lunch, which she also never did at her old school. She is one happy little girl....and will be happier on Wednesday when there is a cake to celebrate her birthday. I have been calling around and trying to find a place to get said cake - here in Tokyo it's not so easy. Finally taking the easy way out, I ordered one from Baskin Robbins - yes, I know, not very Japanese of me, but I am too busy working on finding cupcakes for the party we are throwing her on Saturday to spend too much time on the "school" cake.

When I was young, cupcakes were served for every single birthday in every single class I was in- vanilla and chocolate. The chocolate ones were the first to go - in fact, some kids would say they were allergic to vanilla in order to ensure they got the chocolate ones. As much as I wanted to say that I was allergic too, I never did, taking my chances and eating whichever one I got.

At home, it was a big Carvel cake every year. I just loved the cookie crunch between the layers of ice cream. There would always be some left over and my mother would put it in the big freezer in the basement. Sometimes we would eat it and other times it would be forgotten, only to be discovered way in the back months later.

There is no way that will happen here as our freezer is one of those side by side ones I have grown to really hate - there is hardly any room. However, it does come in handy when it comes to not loosing things, especially anything of an ice cream nature. Not that ice cream lasts that long, or is ever forgotten, in this house.

No comments: