Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Halloween

Ok, so the Halloween costume I made for her started to fall apart before we even got out the door. While Halloween is celebrated here in Japan, it is very difficult to find costumes for children. Having procrastinated enough to run out of time to have one sent by Auntie Marilyn, I opted for the homemade kind after picking up a pair of Panda ears at the zoo. She did look cute, but as you can see I'm not sure she was so keen on the idea.

The first party was at school last Friday. The moms were invited (along with a dish for lunch) and everyone arrived, excited to be celebrating and watching the kids. I dressed up in a fashion (a red wig and a straw hat) and realized right away that I was just about the only one who had. Well, there was one woman who dressed in a sari, but since she is actually Indian, I don't think that counts. And, there was a woman dressed just like her 15 month old daughter, but, well, I don't even know what to say about that, other than it is very Japanese.

I put my big, American sized bowl full of pasta salad on the table and went about my business socializing, taking pictures and watching the kids as they finished up with their "school day". They gave a little singing recital - Ariana mostly looked like she was about to cry, and then it was time for some games and lunch.

Lunch - can I just say I must do better next year. One woman, apparently with way too much time on her hands made little pumpkins out of rice, smoked salmon and seaweed paper. They were not only pretty, but delicious too.

Once the party got started she did seem to enjoy herself - here she is with her teacher Erica and some of the other kids.

The second party was with her playgroup and she (ear and pigtail less) was much happier.

See how well children wait patiently when candy is involved - "please sir, may I have some more??"

Now I sit with a paper mache pumpkin holding Ariana's take for the day. She is standing beside me whimpering, looking pitiful because after opening and not eating two pieces I said the rest was for tomorrow when she wanted me to open more.

Ok, I'm a pushover...........I let her have the little pack of "Goldfish" - they're somewhat healthy right????

No comments: