Thursday, November 01, 2007

"Are you going to have grandchildren soon?"

I pondered the meaning of the meaning of this as I sat in front of my computer, staring at the email that contained this most inflammatory question - one that was posed to me by a lovely Japanese woman I had met at a meeting the day before. She herself was leaving in January to visit with her daughter and new grandchild to be born sometime between now and then.

Having a conversation with a Japanese person is an interesting experience. Their age, ability to speak English, whether or not they actually lived outside of Japan all determines the kind of conversation you will have. For those whose English is not completely fluent and whose experience outside of Japan is limited, so is the conversation - in general, the conversation will be very general - the weather, something about the place you happen to be (nice place, lunch, play, etc.). For example, in the US, a common greeting is usually "how are you?". In Japan, that is something considered too private, so the greeting is usually "nice weather" or something benign like that.

This woman clearly fell into this category, so I chalk up her comment to an extremely awkward attempt to converse and find something we have in common. So, I said nothing, answering only her other points in the email.

I did however, for my own amusement and reference should this question ever come up again, come up with the following responses:

1) "I sincerely hope not. I have a three year old and two step-children; 18 and 20 and none of the three are even close to being ready to be parents."

2) "Me???? Soon-to-be grandmother???? I guess the gray roots are showing more than I thought!!!"

3) "No" (better schedule the Botox/face lift/(pick your plastic surgery procedure).

4) Are you *(&%&*)!!!!ing blind???!!!??!?!?!?.....I'm not OLD ENOUGH TO BE A GRANDMOTHER!!!!!! (my own personal favorite

And by the way, I did make the soonest possible appointment with the hairdresser.

And wore a hat until I could actually get there.

On a brighter note, one of the playgroup mother commented that she thought we were both around the same age - 38.

I feel much better.

4 comments:

fivekidz said...

Just wanted to say Hi and that I am enjoying your blog. I have gone back to start at the beginning . Its very neat to see the world as someone else lives it. I am traveling in 3 weeks to bring my daughter home Zoe is 3. And I am actually a grandmother to 3 boys ages 4 1/2, 2 1/2 and 1. I can't wait to hear some of the comments when I take all 4 kiddos someplace. I am only 43...
Just wanted to say I was enjoying your writting.. Peace and happiness
Bonnie
www.bringingzoehome.blogspot.com

mama J said...

How brave you are to leave a message!! As you can see, my readers are the quiet and shy types. Thanks for your kind words - and congratulations on your referral and upcoming trip to pick up beautiful Zoe. It will be an amazing journey.

Anonymous said...

Response #4 is the obvious response.
G

Michelle said...

You must have misheard her. I'm SURE she said "are you going to visit your grandmother soon?"

This weekend Max said to Evan "I didn't know that Michelle had grey hair". Note to self... call for hair appointment.

The 25 year olds (and we have many who revolve in and out of our research assistant position) in our office ALWAYS say to me, upon hearing my age "you've got to be kidding me. you don't look THAT age". A back handed compliment, I'm sure.

Whatever, and perfect timing for our upcoming birthday month.

love all the pictures! xxmichelle