Monday, April 07, 2008

Living Pink

It's cherry blossom time here in Tokyo. Last year I was so preoccupied with the new people in my life (Jed and Ariana), I didn't pay much attention, but this year, with things more settled, I finally understood what all the fuss was about.

A few weeks ago, while it was still cold, I started seeing the beginnings of buds on all the trees. Every day they would open just a little bit more, until they burst out, seemingly all in one day. Where ever you look, there are trees - outside our front window, a single tree stands in all of its pink glory; outside the back - a number of trees scattered about. In the playground, two trees stand as all of the kids play around it, stopping to catch the leaves as they fall.

These pictures were taken on the Meguro river last Sunday....

It is a tradition to have a picnic under the trees. People reserve spots days in advance..

Yes, Ariana slept through most of the viewing, but did wake up to see some of the "pink flowers".

1 comment:

comingaroundagain said...

How beautiful! I love cherry blossoms.