Tuesday, April 22, 2008

What, No Butter???

So I go out to Costco today to get our monthly supply of random items we just can't live without. My phone rings as I am sitting on the train - it was baba-san reminding me to get butter. "There's a shortage", he says. "What?" I say, vaguely remembering hearing something about it, but not really paying attention. "It's Costco, I'm sure there will be plenty" I say and hang up, slightly annoyed that he called while I was on the train, forcing me to answer and disturb my fellow passengers with my impolite "American-ness".

Well, I was wrong.
There was No Butter.
A sign, which I'm sure explained the reason for the "no butter" was taped up where the butter usually is. I left, feeling let down and slightly concerned. What does it mean when a country runs out of something like butter? How can a country like Japan actually do this?

I got home, having stopped at two of the local grocery stores and found their shelves empty, and went online to see what I could find. Apparently, the government told the dairy farmers to cut down production as there wasn't too much of a demand and now due to high prices and not enough cows, there is a shortage. People now hoard butter - as soon as it is put on the shelves, it is gone. At some stores, there is a limit on how many you can buy at one time.

I will have to become one of those people who scope out the stores every day and pounce as soon as I see it.

How weird.

No comments: