Friday, August 08, 2008


The only way to really stay cool in August in Tokyo is to stay submerged in water. With the "real fee" temperature above 100 (106 today!!!) and the humidity index in the 90s, other than staying indoors, the only alternative is to sweat, continuously - and just as continuously dab at yourself with the tiny little towel you carry with you at all times. Or if you are like me, just drip and watch as the perspiration stains appear in the most embarrassing places, because you constantly forget to put the little towel in your bag - being otherwise pre-occupied with remembering the keys, the wallet, the sunscreen, the extra pair of underpants, the extra pair of pants, the juice cup, the crayons and paper for waiting. Oh yes, the glasses, the garage clicker, the cell phone....the list goes on and on.

On Tuesday Ariana and I went to Meguro, a town about 20 minutes on foot from where we live. Along the river is a complex with pools, a library, children's center and museum - not to mention tennis courts. The pools open at 10am and there is usually a line to get in. We park the stroller in the little "stroller lot" and wait as we are also a few minutes early. Promptly (this is Japan after all) at 10, the doors are open and everyone politely files in, stopping to remove shoes at the benches. Depending on what pool you want to go to, you buy a ticket. (100yen - less than a dollar) gets us two hours at the baby pool - extra time is a big 70 yen. Possessions get placed in a locker and then after a quick stop at the toilet and showers, we are ready.

The pool has two lifeguards - one at either end. The guard at the far end has the more difficult job as he is in charge of the slide. Imagine a line of children between the ages of 1 and 4, waiting for a chance to hurl themselves down a very fast slide into the water. Yes, the lifeguard has an abundance of patience.


Not that the guard on the other, more quiet end has it much easier. It is there where the water and eye fountains are. What you see below may look like water fountains, but they are actually little fountains with dual sprays for washing ones eyes out. However, the aforementioned 1 -4 year olds think it is much more fun to just turn the faucets on and play in the fine spray that comes out. The poor lifeguard has to gently and politely tell the children not to do that.

Just like he politely told me yesterday, when we went back with friends Rhianna, Tom and Clare, that I had to take my necklace off, as Japanese pools are jewelry free zones. I can't tell you why, but they are. I can tell you I am still trying to untie my necklace from my hat, where I had put it for safekeeping.

Not that there is really reason for that. I ended up leaving my keys and cellphone in the stroller pocket for the entire time I was in the pool and they were both there when I got back. Not that I am in the habit of doing that (ok, I admit, I am) but this is what happens when you are busy remembering the bathing suit, the goggles, the towel, the sunscreen, the water...........

1 comment:

Excess Information said...

Yeah, and (waterproof) MP3s are also banned in Japanese pools. Hmmm...this pool reminds me of things I don't like about Japan!