Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Going Postal (WARNING - MANY BAD WORDS)

I understand. Why. Why people go into post offices with a shotgun and gun down everyone in sight. For me, the source of my firearm fantasy was one very aggressive and nasty postal employee who was standing in the common area answering questions.

I went to the post office. My post office. The local post office just blocks from my house. To put in a change of address. Logical person that I am, I thought if I walked the form over to MY LOCAL post office, I could hand it to a person and be assured that my mail would actually be forwarded. But NOOOOOOOOO. The overly aggressive postal employee informed me I had to put it in the mailbox. Any mailbox would do. I explained that the very post office we were standing in was MY LOCAL POST OFFICE!!!!!, but she didn't care. I had to put it in any mailbox - she even pointed to the mail box in the VERY POST OFFICE I WAS STANDING IN and told me just to drop it in. I asked if I could just hand it in to one of the clerks at one of the windows and she practically blocked my path and reiterated her "put it in the box" mantra.

Of course, I was so blown away by the illogical incompetence of what had transpired that I forgot to drop the change of address form in the mail box of the FUCKING POST OFFICE BOX THAT IS "MY FUCKING POST OFFICE" and ended up putting it in a mailbox uptown, where I was meeting the Martini girls for our almost last "martini date".

You may think I am overreacting to the post office experience, but no, I am not. Because this came right after the HSBC "need address verification to open an online account even though I have a regular bank account in one of your banks and you can see that as you are telling me to send a copy of my last statement" experience.

I actually have to send a copy of my bank statement so they can see I am the same person that spent twenty minutes on the phone revealing things my husband doesn't even know - my first school, my best friend in school, my mother's middle name, to verify that am who I say I am.

Given I am moving out of the country in exactly 11 days and have a "to do" list four pages long, I don't need any more "to do" things, I have enough thank you. What I need is for people to help me do what I need to do quickly with a minimum of stupidity. Perhaps that is asking too much...........hence the shotgun fantasy.

No comments: