Thursday, June 15, 2006

Saying Goodby



More than ten years ago, I started volunteering at Ronald McDonald House. Last night, my fellow volunteers wished me well with a cake, a teddy bear, a photo album and an incredible hand-crocheted sweater from Lisa. As I rode downtown in the cab later that night after a few rousing games of Bingo, I thought about how much I had been through with my fellow volunteers and staff, most of whom were there when I first started - through boyfriends and jobs, marriages and divorces, illnessess and promotions, babies and relocations, three different volunteer coordinators, one big volunteer uprising, the sudden loss of one wonderful volunteer and the loss of many wonderful children who had amazed us all with their courage and laughter.

When I walked in last night the signs were there that we were both moving on. The house is changing with a major renovation, transforming itself for the future. It felt alittle strange, not the same old house I have looked forward to coming to week after week. I will be transforming too, from an independent working woman to a "spouse", as I am referred in all of the paperwork we have had to fill out for the visa and insurance. I guess the quote at the start of my blog is appropriate here...."Everything changes, nothing stays the same. Make your peace with that, and all will be well"

No comments: