Thursday, October 12, 2006

Our Phoenix

The days tick by as we await our travel authorization and consulate appointment. In the meantime, we are slowly getting more information on Ariana. Her Chinese name, Feng, means Phoenix. In Chinese Mythology, the Phoenix is a symbol of high virtue and grace, of power and prosperity, the union of yin and yang. A thoughtful creature.

I see that thoughtfulness in her pictures - an old soul is my little one. The weight of her experience so far is evident on her face, as is the resillience mentioned in her report. And I know she was loved. And I mourn. I mourn for the loss she has suffered. I mourn the loss her birth parents felt living under a system which left them no choice. No choice but to do what they did in the hopes their child would be taken care of. And she was, by some very caring people. And she will be...forever and ever.

No comments: