Saturday, January 27, 2007

Living with Dogs and Cats in Japan

Yesterday I went to the Minato City Ward to register Tess. Yes, in Japan, even the pets have to be registered. I received a registration tag and rabies tag to put on her collar - which one is which I totally forgot since they are in Japanese - although the kind gentleman at the counter warned me one of them was sharp, which they both are. I also received a pamphlet on the Basic Rules of owning a pet in Japan. I share the following:

Do Not Leave Your Dog Loose
*It is prohibited to give your dog free run in parks or on street.
*Note that people who can control the dog can take their dog on a leash for a walk.
*Putting yourself in a place of those who are afraid of dogs, be sure to leash your dog to prevent unpredictable accident.

Cleaning Up Feces
*Be sure to take your dog's feces home for disposal. (yes, yes, I know!!!!)
*Flush your dog's urine away. (I'm sorry, what???!!???)
*Encourage you dog to relieve itself at home. (trust me I have, she has access to a wee wee pad at any time, but sometimes a dog just has to go for a walk, you know?)

Barking
*Teach your dog not to bark unnecessarily in order not to bother your neighbors.

Brushing
*Do not brush your dog in public places or on a balcony. It may be a nuisance for other people.

Under "Prevention of Infectious Diseases" section, it states:

"some diseases can be transmitted to humans from pets. Avoid excessive physical contact with them". Ok, so you can dress them up in hundred dollar outfits, prance them around in specially made doggie strollers, just don't touch them much.

*Do not feed your pets mouth to mouth (and why exactly would we do this - a party trick perhaps?)
*Do not share the same dish with your pets. (Ariana, are you reading this? - yes, yesterday Arny found her face down in the dog's water dish laughing hysterically as she tried to drink the water.)

And my favorite from the "Cat" section states "Have your cats spayed and neutered to prevent reproducing ownerless cats. It will also control their troublesome behaviors during the mating season". Yes, I understand they want to prevent the troublesome behaviors of cats during the mating season, but what are they doing about the troublesome behavior of some men on the subway that required designating entire cars just for women? Perhaps they should take a look at this pamphlet??

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have no idea how I know this, but flushing away dog pee means carrying a bottle of tap water with you, so you can rinse off the sidewalk if your pooch pees on it. I've only had ferrets, though, and they're so low to the ground that no one notices whether they're peeing or not!
Malinda

mama J said...

I am already carrying little poo bags, if they think I am carrying little water bottles to wash away the pee, they can just forget it!!!