Thursday, September 21, 2006

It's A Small, Small, Small, Small World

A woman approached me at a luncheon today (yes, I am now a “lady who lunches”) and said “I saw your phone number on one of the sign up sheets and we have almost the exact same number”. We compared and sure enough, other than the last digit (mine is 0, hers is 2)it was the same.

“Where do you live?” she asked. I told her and she said “So do I. Where exactly do you live?” I mentioned the street and she shook her head. I then mentioned the building and her eyes lit up. Sure enough, she lives two floors below me.

Now, the building we live in is exactly nine floors, with one apartment on each. I mentioned to Husband-san I thought it strange that other than one family, I had not seen anyone else who lives here. Apparently our schedules are completely different – well, not that I have one. I did see one couple the day before we moved in, but only for a second as they were leaving and we were entering the building.

My point is, had this woman not seen my phone number, not had the thought to approach me, we would have gone on as we had been, not knowing each other. Now, we do and hopefully a chance meeting will turn into a lasting friendship.

No comments: