Thursday, September 14, 2006

The Time, It is Approaching

When I think about it, my stomach tightens – am I ready? After all of this time waiting, I still wonder. As I relish my last free days, I wait with anticipation and butterflies. Walking through the train station yesterday I wondered if I will be able to make it up and down all of the stairs and escalators with my baby and a stroller? Will I end up sprawled on the floor, in a pile of humiliation and shame, with my child screaming “get this woman away from me!!”

In about two more weeks my life will change in ways I cannot yet imagine. In about 14 days from now, I may have a name. A place. A little face to stare at wondering “who are you little one?” In about two weeks, I may be a mom.

I’m scared. This child has been “in theory” for so long, I’ve almost forgotten that a real live breathing child will be joining our family soon. Will I be ready? I was at my friend Lori’s house yesterday and I asked if her daughter Angelina was eating “people food” yet. She said not really, and until she got some more teeth, it would be hard. But then, other than peanut butter and honey, she will eat whatever they eat. It got me thinking, what DO they eat?? What can’t they eat? I don’t know nothin’ bout feeding babies!!

3 comments:

Michelle said...

I'm bypassing all the emotional stuff because there will be too many tears on my keyboard to coherently answer your question regarding food. so, here is what mia eats: eggs, yogurt, tofu,banana bread (home made - i'll send you some - it's really healthy and yummy), beans (take off the skin), lox, cottage cheese, fruit,pretzel sticks, veggie burgers, veggie booty,soy crisps, challah dipped in olive oil, olives, gazpacho, avocadoes,oatmeal, soy yogurt, pasta, macaroni and cheese, string cheese, ice cream, sorbet, frozen yogurt and corn muffins. here's what mia won't eat: same list as above ( except for the ice cream, which she will ALWAYS eat. as a nutritionist, i have to say that the whole eating thing is a major pain.
she'll let you know what she wants and doesn't want. mia just spits it out. or if she doesn't like the look of what i'm about to give her, she shakes her head no so strongly that i think she's going to get whiplash.

sometimes, if i'm giving her someting new, i give it to her off of my finger. that somehow makes it more palatable. just a suggestion.

and just remember, with new foods, it can take up to 10 different attempts until they'll finally eat it. (at least that 's what the nutrition literature says). You're ready. you're so ready. You figure it out as you go along. It's not that hard. Really.

mama J said...

Husband-san just asked me if I am going to be snivling on a regular basis when he saw me reading your comment - yes, I am snivling (that means crying for all of you who don't understand the language of pre-adoptive parent). I have no idea why I am crying - I guess this gives you an idea of what my emotional state right now is. Don't worry though, I am also laughing. Hormones - aren't they just grand!!!!

Michelle said...

Oh my goodness - sniveling at a nutrition post. That's bad. Or rather, I should say, that's just like me. Yes, tell Arnie-san that the snivels now are just the beginning. Embrace your emotional self - literally ('cause husband san is going to be so tired of seeing you tear up he's just going to ignore you).