Friday, June 01, 2007

Art and Anger

It's amazing how good art can change your mood from angry to inspired. I took Ariana to Bunkamura today, a multi media complex in Shibuya, to see one of my favorite artists, Amedeo Modigliani. Just looking at the collection made me forget all about the teenager living in my house that refuses to clean up after himself.

After being asked nicely twice to put the dishes, glasses and silverware left in the sink the previous night into the dishwasher, I go into the kitchen and low and behold, the one plate was in fact in the dishwasher, but the rest of it was still sitting in the sink. Did I need to specify that "dishes" included said glasses and silverware? To top it off, I open the fridge and there, right in front of my eyes, is an empty tupperware container. EMPTY!!!!Perhaps I should start blasting Aretha Frankin's "Respect" into his room whenever he is holed-up with mass quantities of chips and ramen?

Perhaps he no longer cares, as he is leaving in two weeks, but I do. And, he will find out just how much I care when he comes home from school.

Now, back to the art. Ariana was sleeping when I got there, but woke up about halfway through, just as I was approaching the nude sketches. With visions of her screaming "tushie" or "peepee" or "boobie"; breaking the absolute silence that enveloped us as we walked from piece to piece, I quickened my step until we were safely in the area exhibiting various letters and postcards sent between Modigliani and his girlfriend, fellow artist Jenne Hebuterne, shown in the painting above. We finished the exhibit in silence and made our way home.

Now - to prepare, as I FEEL A LECTURE COMING ON.................

No comments: