Sunday, June 10, 2007

O-Bon

A Buddhist tradition, it is believed that ancestor's spirit's visit during this time and it is one of the most important periods in Japan, taking place in August (or July depending on what calendar is used). Lanterns are lit and put in front of people's homes to guide the spirits and there are many festivals where people dance. Bon Odori is what the dance is called and Ariana and I went to learn how the other night.


The ladies there had brought extra yukatas (summer festival kimonos) and graciously let me wear one and even more graciously put it on me. For those who think that red sash is easy to put on - wrong. It is actually three separate sashes; the first to tie up the kimono to the proper length, the second to secure the first and the last is the obi, or sash. While many older women are skilled enough to be able to do it themselves, most younger women (many times not as interested in tradition) actually go to a salon to have them tied properly. There are women who give classes in proper Kimono wearing it is such an intricate procedure. I was in awe as the woman pulled and pushed and spun me around until I had a beautifully fitting robe and my red sash secured with an expertly tied bow.

Then the dancing began. There were three different dances, all moving around in a circle. Some of the music was instrumental, some chants, and some sounded like rap music, which made everyone laugh. Ariana spent the time not dancing, but running around the room and making faces with one of the other girls there.


She might have worn a yukata, but never would have stood still long enough to tie it on....oh well, perhaps next year.



2 comments:

shelley said...

Thank you for sharing your family with us. They are lovely. I learn something new everytime I visit your blog.

Shelley
www.finishingourfamilyfromchina.blogspot.com

comingaroundagain said...

That looks like so much fun! I love the photos!