Friday, August 18, 2006

A New York Moment

In an attempt to lure Jed away from his computer and actually step outside, I asked whether he wanted to go to the Ghibli Museum, where the focus is on Hayao Miyazaki, the brilliant animation director of such classics as "Spirited Away"Castle in the Sky" and "My Neighbor Totoro", and a particular favorite of the entire Murray-Mutch family. He made a sound that kind of sounded like yes, so off I went to the Lawson convenience store to buy tickets. Yes, in order to go to this particular museum you must get tickets in advance, for a particular day and time. And, even more bizarre, you must buy the tickets at this convenience store. There are two in my neighborhood and in the first one I experienced my first "not so nice" encounter with Japanese counterpeople. I entered the store, did a quick search for Ginger Ale and sunflower seeds (he does need sustenance lest he pass out at his computer) and then made my way up to the counter with my notebook, with the name and address of the museum written down, asking if I could buy tickets. The young man said something really fast and looked away from me towards the next customer. I stood there, shocked to be on the receiving end of decidedly New York style behavior. I looked towards the other check out person, an older woman, who waved her hand towards a machine and also looked away towards the next customer. I went over to the machine, looked at the Japanese writing and decided that after a day in the heat, sun and humidity I did not have the energy to even try to figure out what I was supposed to do at the machine. I walked out, weighing my sincere thought that I need to learn Japanese with my equally sincere but arrogant, self serving all-about-me thought of "why can't they just have an "English" button. Walking through the building I usually use to avoid more heat and humidity in order to get home, I see another Lawson store and think I will try this again. I walk in, again taking out the notebook with the name and address of the museum and again ask if I can buy tickets. The very nice young woman comes out from behind the counter and actually starts pushing the buttons for me, first getting the museum and then trying to purchase the tickets - seven or eight times we tried, by the last few I was pushing all the buttons all by myself - but every day and time we tried was sold out!!! Apparently, this is a very popular museum.

So we will have to go to the Ramen museum instead, another place Jed is willing to leave the house for. Yes, you read correctly - an entire museum dedicated to noodles.

Yum.

No comments: