Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Phantom Toilet

Just when I thought I had seen it all, here comes the next generation of bizarre toilets – right in my own home.

I was trying to organize our bathroom. Now this in itself is a humungous task given I am one to collect little bottles from here and there. I think of them as souvenirs to remember the various places I’ve been. I must have traveled a lot because I kept pulling out bag after bag of “products” wondering where they would all go. There were the little bottles of L’Occitane from our honeymoon at the Four Seasons in San Francisco, Heavenly Bath products from South Beach, Institute Swiss products from the Omni (when was I at an Omni?) and leftover Keihl’s from my trip to Cannes – part of the extra gift bag Auntie M got at the AMFAR benefit and I grabbed practically as soon as she walked in the door. Well, she had two. My point is I have a lot of little products and I had to put them somewhere. I would crouch down between the toilet and the under-sink cabinet for awhile and then I would get up to get another bag. And the toilet would flush. Just like that. I would be in bedroom and I would hear the flush. I would be no where near the actual seat, certainly not sitting on it and all of a sudden I would hear the “whoosh” and then the “flush”.

Apparently I was close enough because sure enough, our toilet flushes itself. This is very dangerous. I could get used to it and start leaving the scene of normal toilets impolitely unflushed, yet again shaming myself and my family.

This isn’t all. Here is the control panel for the Phantom Toilet. Not on the seat mind you, but mounted on the wall. And in English.





You would think the people who invented this would use their powers for good.

No comments: