Wednesday, July 12, 2006

A Day Later and Not So Many Yen

This morning I went to a Japanese grocery store called Pororoca. It is an escalator ride down from street level in the basement of an office building. Upon entering, you walk through a 100 yen store (yes, just like the dollar stores back home), then pass a dry cleaners and then comes the market. The prices were normal, except for the cantalope, which was still $15. While they carried a few recognizable things, Tropicana orange juice for example, most of the labels were entirely in Japanese. I bought what I am really sure is Salmon to make for dinner, what I am confident is yoghurt and several other things I absolutely knew what they were, like the sushi I bought for lunch.

Experienced my first yoga class - mmmmm, how do you say Namaste in Japanese??

2 comments:

Not The Other Mother said...

Yo, maybe there are some "Japanese Melons" hidden in some back room in those supermarkets that cost a little less. Do you know how many Happy Meals I could get for $15? Japan looks and sounds awesome. Is there a job for Kevin out there? I love the idea of "transportation school" It would be great to just hand Max his lunch and say "here's yer metrocard" and then go back to bed.

Michelle said...

just like 'whole foods' at columbus circle,right along with the $15 melons. were they organic at least? don't you hate it when people compare foreign and exotic places to their mundane routine at home? anyway, sounds like you're doing an amazing job purchasing food. if it were me, i would be depleting my supply of peanut butter and granola bars before i ventured out into the land of mystery food. bravo for you!