Monday, July 10, 2006

First Day

Today, my first full day in Tokyo started with a chore. Well, not exactly. I was up at 3am and since nothing is open at that hour, I passed the time unpacking and reading the instructions for all of the appliances. Well, everything except for the toilet. You see, everything is written in Japanese, so I had to read the english directions for the dishwasher, television, telephone and iron. I felt like I was an alien on a different planet for the first time.

Speaking of aliens, since we will be in Tokyo for more than 90 days, I had to register my alien-ness at the local Minatu-ku (area in Tokyo where we are) ward office. The offical name for what I needed is an Alien Registration Certificate. After getting a map and directions from the consierge downstairs, I set off on foot for the estimated 20 minute walk. I was proud of myself for not getting lost and arriving on time. The lovely woman taking care of me must have said thank you a dozen or more times. "Thank you for showing me your passport", "thank you for filling out the form", "thank you for giving me your husband's name", "thank you", "thank you", "thank you". I must say, the New York postal employees could use a lesson in dealing with the public from this kind woman.

In addition to the alien registration certificate, I had to get another document saying I had applied for an alien registration certificate in order to get a cellphone. I don't know why, but that's what I needed so I asked the kind woman at the office for that as well and she thanked me for asking.

Mission accomplished and feeling very cocky at having made it there without getting lost, I promptly did exactly that on the way back. After a brief stop at a beautiful temple, I should have turned and didn't and ended up in a rather tacky part of Tokyo. Realizing I had made a mistake, I turned around and following the map, made my way back. By this time, the sun was starting to peak out and the humidity was rather stifling. By the time I got back to the apartment, I was dripping wet. Here are some pictures of my day......











2 comments:

Michelle said...

Hi Jennifer- I CANNOT BELIEVE YOU ARE IN JAPAN AND THAT YOU LEFT ME HERE IN NYC!ok, that was just a little self centered rant. Really, I'm thrilled that your are reunited with Arnie - those first pics are great. And now I am "toilet ready" when we come to visit next summer... You would have been very proud of me today because I actually folded up my stroller and went on the bus. That is just one silly, boring detail of my life here in NY THAT I WOULD BE SHARING WITH YOU OVER COSMOS IF YOU DIDN'T LEAVE AND GO TO JAPAN! (whoops, sorry). I got your email with Julie's contact info. I'll be calling her soon. I'm sure she'll be excited to hear that I folded up my stroller. Am I a little too excited about this?! Just remember, you can be a great mom even if you can't deal with the baby 'stuff'. Michelle

mama J said...

I'm qvelling....