Monday, July 17, 2006

It's That Time Again

Oh yes, the period between the time the referral rumors start coming out and the actual referrals. It is a time where formerly normal and calm people (like me) become obsessed with any bit of information they can get their hands on. There is actually an entire blog devoted to these rumors. "The China Center for Adoption Affairs" (the government office that is in charge of international adoption and the one who matches the children to the parents) is moving", "The CCAA already moved", "they are going up to July 13", "the wait is going up to 18 months" -it's enough to give you a headache.

Our dossier was logged in on July 27, which means, if the above rumor is correct, we will not be getting our referral this month. Not that I really expected it.

Want it- yes.
Crave it - yes.
Wish for it - yes.
Yearn for it with all of my motherness - yes.

Expect it - no.

This very long process has taught me patience for things that I have no control over. To look at the positive aspect of the wait - we will be settled in our permanent apartment, Arny will be able to take more time off work, it will not be so hot and humid in China.

Right now my child seems very far away - although everywhere I am, I imagine how it will be with her. The subways will be a problem with a stroller - many stairs and escalators. There are little playgrounds tucked into corners of buildings and small parks. The sidewalks are uneven and start and stop for no reason. I will have to be careful.

Arny and I went to the grocery store yesterday and I mentioned with an escalator and stairs as the point of entry, a stroller would be very difficult to maneuver here. He suggested I bring the baby to his office and while I shopped, he would strap the baby into the hip carrier and work until I got back. The offer was only good for grocery shopping - not going to the spa.

Poo!!!

1 comment:

Michelle said...

Yes, it's true, the stroller is hard to maneuver EVERYWHERE - particularly during rush hour on the subway - any subway, I would imagine. I almost killed myself on the escalator last week trying to get out of the subway. Oh, yes, it did say to fold up the stroller, but I thought that was just for the faint of heart.

It's HOT and HUMID here in NYC. They say it will break tomorrow, but I don't believe them.

I'm with you about the referrals... but they will be here sooner than you think. Believe me, I know. The wait is long, but best practice patience. Once you get your beautiful girl, you will need a lot of it... much more than you ever needed during your wait. Trust me on this one. Miss you! Michelle