Monday, July 31, 2006

Terminal

I had my own “Terminal” moment the other day while trying to get home from Shinjuku – yet another crowded part of town where the rail station has 15 exits. I was on my way home after running some errands. I tried to enter the station to get home, but strangly enough, found only JR line entrances. This is one of the “other” train lines, not the main subway line nor the one I wanted. You see, you need a different ticket for the JR line and if you put in the regular subway ticket (which I did) the machine spits out your pass and the little gates close so you can't enter (it did, to yet another instance of me disgracing my home country). Yes, people were watching and shook their head in disappointment. Politely, but still.

I tried to retrace my steps to where I came out, and ended up walking into several other “JR” entrances before I got to one that would let me in. It wasn’t my subway line, but I figured once I got in, I could pull out my -trusty train atlas - yes, there is an entire 119 page book that helps you get around Tokyo and trust me, you need it!! I walked and walked, going up escalators, around corners, up stairs, down hallways, down stairs, around more corners, down escalators, all underground, having visions of not be able to find my way out and ending up living in the subway, like Tom Hanks did in the airport in “Terminal”.

Finally I saw a subway that would get me close enough to home and followed the signs – 10 minutes later I am still walking and I see my line – a smile grew on my face and my pace got a little quicker - that little green circle with the N in the middle never looked so good!!

I’m home now.

No comments: