Monday, July 10, 2006

Ohayo from Tokyo



This is our toilet - I have no idea what those little buttons mean, and it will probably take me awhile to figure it out because while there are printed instructions on how to use just about everything in the apartment, there are no toilet instructions.

On the other hand, in the bathroom at the airport, which had a similar toilet, there were signs in English that explained everything. While using said toilet, I saw a button that said "Flushing Sound". I didn't see an actual handle, so I figured it to be the flusher. I was wrong. It was literally the sound of a flushing toilet - I suppose for those people who had potty training issues and forever need the sound of running water to go.

So there I am listening to the sound of a flushing toilet, wondering 1) how to make it stop, and 2) how to actually flush the toilet, praying no one came in and saw me, the silly American, playing with the "funny buttons" on the seat. I did finally find the handle and now I was listening to the real flush and the recorded flush, rushing to get out of the bathroom with two very heavy carry on bags, when a couple of Japanese women came in to the bathroom. I smiled politely and ran.....

Note to Michelle and Lori - same bathroom had a "child holder" in the stall. It was a little seat up against the wall, kind of like a highchair that you put your baby in while you go.....very convenient.

2 comments:

M3 said...

Oh my god - that toilet would scare me! What the heck is that ominous red button? Eject?

mama J said...

I don't know, but I am hoping to figure it out soon before someone hurts themselves!!